Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Promises Kept

Have you ever promised someone something and not followed through?

I sure have. I remember several summers ago I promised a camper to hang out after supper time. After supper time is when all of Camp just gets to hang out and do just about anything. Some campers are catching frogs and minnows by the pond, others hit the volleyball around to see how many times consecutively they can hit it, and some campers and counselors just hang out and talk on Horned Frog Pavilion.

So, I had promised to spend time with this camper after supper. As often times it happens, something came up that needed my attention and I didn't follow through on my promise. I remember the camper be very upset with me, as they should have been, and I was left with the guilt of not following through on my word. Since that time, I've worked at two things. First, I try to only promise people things that I intend to do. Second- when I do promise those things then I do everything in my power to make sure I take authentic action and actually come through. Even though I've gotten much better at this- it's amazing that I still fail! How frustrating!

The good news is that there is someone out there that never goes back on their promise, no matter what. His name is Jesus, and he's the one person we can go to daily who will not let us down. He never changes, which is pretty cool to know. Even when those closest to us do change or do mess up, He's always there. Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Another one of my favorite promises is Jeremiah 29:11, which says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." All we have to do is abide in Him daily.

May you have a blessed week and know that He's always there to keep His promises!!

No comments:

Post a Comment