Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ever wanted to swim in the Initiation Pond? (or the i pond as we now call it)

In 1996 I had the pleasure of building the tribal fire with one of my best friends, Micah Howard. It was 3rd Session and there were only 4 boy counselors- myself, Micah, Andrew Clendenen, and Wade Merida. I was a CIT (counselor in training), nonetheless I look back on that session and it may be my favorite because of the bond that Micah, Wade, Andrew and myself shared.

Back to the i pond- so winding up 3rd Session and the summer, Micah and I built this huge bon fire (the Tribal Fire). It was 100 plus degrees and we were drenched in sweat. We got done and just stared at that big beautiful piece of manly work, kind of looked around, and then Micah said, "Hey man, you want to go swimming?"

We dove head first into the pond, swam deep down near the mud, and were instantly refreshed. The water down deep was so cool that you didn't even want to come up for air immediately. That's a memory I'll never forget.

Mark 1:35 reads, "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Sometimes the Bible refers to the morning as the "cool of the day". So why did Jesus get up so early to pray? I asked myself the same question this morning. Why do we get up so early for SOJ at Camp? I'm sure you have answers, but here are just a few thoughts of mine. My mind is clear in the morning, and I sure do hear God a lot clearer. I can watch the sunrise and see part of God's creation- so beautiful. It's quiet; I can hear the birds in the morning singing. I feel at peace and feel God's presence.

So, I want to encourage you to take some time out in the morning, or maybe just in the quietest part of your day, and pray and talk to God. Take time out to read His word and just listen. Maybe it's been a long time since you've even talked to God- so what...that's okay. That's what today is for:) If you do it- I promise that you'll be refresh...and probably won't even want to come up for air!

No comments:

Post a Comment